Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Butterfly that Stands in the Centre of the Ever-Widening Pool of Red and other great imaginary films

As a belated addendum to the previous post concerning titles, an email from my friend Gareth featuring a great link, landed on my desk a couple of days ago. No discussion of film titles should, of course, omit the greatest titling genre of all, the giallo!

Lengthy, lurid and often only very loosely connected to the plot, giallos feature titles such as 'A Lizard in a Woman's Skin', 'The Black Belly of the Tarantual', 'Short Night of the Glass Dolls' (directed by AIU favourite Aldo Lado) and 'Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key' amongst many many others, and now this site allows you to generate your own, along with a handy synopsis. My own favourites so far have been 'Six Dead Orchids in an Eagles' Talons', 'Five Victims for the Maniac with the Eyes of Jade', the evocative 'The Madman Laughs in a Field of Lillies' and the actually quite great 'My Heart is an Assassin With Bloodstained Lips.' Hey, maybe I can nick that...

No comments: